I have to admit I have an affinity for baskets. I love them all – from the big ones that hold a week’s worth of laundry to the little ones that corral pens on my desk. Baskets are pretty, functional, space-saving, and inexpensive. They are a common sighting at weekend garage sales so it tears my heart out to walk away from one. Lucky for me, I have a million uses for a good basket. Here are my top five.
1. Baskets are inexpensive accessories. If you are like me, nothing brings warmth and beauty to a room than nature. The natural texture and the color of the reeds or branches woven into a basket are a quick way to bring an earthy feel to a room.
Filling an empty wall with baskets add dimension, texture, and interest.
2. Baskets for storage. This reason alone is why I have multiple baskets in every room. Baskets are ideal for organization. You can store anything in baskets from pillows and linen to magazines and pet gear. Everything will look neat and orderly in a basket.
Baskets stored neatly on shelves conceal the plethora of clutter.
A basket near a desk keeps magazines neat and orderly.
3. Empty baskets for quick clean-ups. Not to be confused with baskets for permanent storage. I have at least one empty basket in every room. These baskets have lids to conceal visual clutter. I have a basket to temporarily hold daily mail until I have time to sort through the pile. I have one that hides my many purses and totes with all the paperwork that I carry with me daily. You’ll be happy to have a quick place to hide toys and socks when unexpected guests are knocking at the door.
Use the basket tucked on this shelf to be the keeper of your keys and remote controls.
4. Baskets as a unique side table. Sturdy baskets with lids can make crafty side tables and nightstands. You can even stack smaller baskets to make a clever stand.
A set of three baskets serve as a side table for a glass lamp.
5. Baskets as gifts. If you find yourself with too many baskets, how about putting a few succulents or cans of homemade jam in them for gifts. After all, you can’t be the only one who loves baskets, right?
A basket with flowers or plants make great gifts.
About Terri Dux
Besides being a writer, passionate blogger, and photographer for HomeWorld Furniture, Terri is also co-owner of a local t-shirt craft company. When not watching her favorite TV channel, HGTV, Terri likes to sew, vermicompost, and thrift at neighborhood garage sale